The Grosse Pointe Academy was founded in 1885 by the Society of the Sacred Heart, a French order of cloistered Catholic nuns. As the school – originally all-women and dubbed the Academy of the Sacred Heart – grew over the next century, new facilities were built, constituting our modern-day campus. In 1969, the Society deeded the school to a Board of Trustees who incorporated The Grosse Pointe Academy as an independent, non-profit, and coeducational school.
For the past 50 years, the Academy has continued to serve as a bastion of ambition, scholarship, and social responsibility. Our mission, then and now, is to prepare young students to be inquisitive, intellectual, and responsible leaders and global citizens guided by Christian values.
We are proud of our students and their accomplishments. Scattered across the globe, Academy alumni are pioneers and changemakers, rebels and artists, businesspeople and scientists, doctors and legislators, all united by the communal spirit of aspiration and independence developed at The Grosse Pointe Academy.