Grade 5 is the kickoff to our Middle School program. Students are held to the same standards as other middle school students, but in the comfort of their homeroom classroom. The curriculum takes a sharp focus on engaging students and developing independent thought and confident, eloquent expression.
Grade 5 Curriculum
Reading and writing skills are tackled with vigor and catered to each student’s personal learning style through the DailyCafe literacy framework. Daily 5 is a way of structuring the reading in the classroom so that every student is independently engaged in meaningful literacy tasks. These research-based tasks will have the biggest impact on students’ reading and writing achievements and will continue to foster the children who already love to read and write.
- The Daily 5 literacy program instills independence and creates highly engaged readers, writers and learners
- Study of award-winning novels to help students better understand composition and self-expression
- Wordly Wise 3000 program to encourage a more robust vocabulary
- Grammar Flip to develop grammar skills
- Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections for meaningful instruction and practice to increase spelling proficiency
- Zaner-Bloser Cursive Handwriting
In fifth grade math, fundamental computational skills are solidified and emphasis shifts towards abstract concepts that form the basis of future algebraic learning and other advanced study. Our Singapore Math curriculum implemented through concrete, pictorial and abstract steps. The spiral program structure in Grades 1-5 allows students to gain a rich connection to process and procedure.
An Accelerated Math option offers individual development to students regardless of age or grade.
- Whole numbers to billion
- Mental math
- Calculation of whole numbers
- Multiply and divide fractions and decimals
- Perimeters and areas
- Average rates
- Basic algebra
The fifth grade program is full of immersive, hands-on experiences in labs and simulations that teach the scientific method through practice and exploration. Collaboration and cooperation become a part of investigation as students are tasked with solving problem in pairs and small groups.
The biennial Science Fair project is a favorite immersive and empowering experience. Each student begins with a problem based on their individual interests, forms a hypothesis, runs experiments and collects and presents the data, before answering his or her question.
- LEGO Robotics with Mindstorms EV3 robots
- Force and motion
- Plate tectonics and volcanoes
- Nutrition and energy
- Ecosystems in the Garden Classroom
- Science Fair
- Electricity and circuits
- The solar system
SOCIAL STUDIES / WE THE PEOPLE
Democracy and governance are closely and critically investigated in fifth grade social studies. Using the We the People text, students thoroughly study the United States Constitution, exploring American democracy through essays, debates, and other imaginative activities.
- History of United States of America government
- How the three branches of government work and interact
- Trips to Lansing and local courts to see government function up close
Technology is used as a powerful tool in all curricula. By engaging students in meaningful ways, instructors empower each young learner to become critical thinkers and innovative authors who can communicate their ideas across media.
CHRISTIAN LIFE & CHARACTER EDUCATION
- GPA Character Development Program
- Biblical text and stories
- Study of biblical heroes
- Book selection
- Characteristics of books
- Digital safety, citizenship ,and ethics
- Information and media literacy
- Research skills
- Dramatic interpretations
- Movement and choreography
- Music history
- Musical performance
- Orff instruments and rhythm
- Vocal music and performance
- Develop strong cardio, respiratory, muscular endurance, and flexibility
- Participate in fun games, sport, and lifelong physical activities
- Tie health to total wellness
- Artists and art styles
- Art History
- Weaving and textiles
Students choose to continue studying French (which they began in Early School) or study Spanish for the entire year with the intent to continue their studies in Middle School.
Grade 5 uses the ERB comprehensive Testing Program 4, a rigorously designed series of assessments in verbal and quantitative ability, auditory comprehension, reading comprehension, writing mechanics and concepts, and mathematics.
POSSIBLE FIELD TRIPS
- Henry Ford Museum and overnight Greenfield Village trip
- Lansing, Michigan
- Michigan Court of Appeals
- YMCA Camp Storer overnight trip
- Buddy program
- Chapel assembly
- Christmas Chapel Giving assembly
- Community service
- Extracurricular activities (Catholic Formation, Chess Club, Golf, Gourmet Cooking Class)
- Field Day
- Fifth grade musical
- Garden Classroom
- Grandparents’ and Special Friends’ Day
- Halloween Parade
- Multi-age STEAM activities
- Special assemblies and celebrations
- JV Sports – Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis, Cross Country
- Full-time school nurse
- Academic resource specialist
- Technology and learning specialist